Chilli con carne
CHILLI CON CARNE
SERVINGS: Minimum 10, up to 15
PREP: 10-15 MINS
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINS
Made as a large batch using our own finest steak mince from our 3 for £13 range!
Great served fresh if you’re entertaining guests or having a party, and equally suitable for freezing into portions and serving later with rice or baked potatoes!
- 3 Packs Blacker Hall Steak Mince (3 for £13 Offer)
- 2 Small Onions, very finely diced
- 1 Large Red Pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ punnet Field Mushrooms, diced as finely as you can
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic, chopped as finely as you can
- 1 tin pre-cooked Red Kidney Beans
- 2 cartons Mutti Passata or Chopped Tomatoes (it’s your preference!)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Garlic Puree
- ½ tube Mutti Tomato Puree
- 1 rounded tbsp Quay Chilli Con Carne Seasoning
- 2 rounded tsp Quay Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Quay Smoked Paprika
In a heavy based pan large enough to hold all the ingredients lightly sauté the onions in the olive oil until soft and almost transparent (3-4 minutes).
Stir in the salt, pepper and chopped garlic and mix through.
At a moderate heat add the meat making sure to break down any large chunks, stirring frequently until the grounds are separated, slightly browned the the seasoned onions are evenly mixed through (10 minutes).
Add the tomato puree, stirring through the meat until it’s all nicely coated with tomato (5 minutes).
Add the Chilli Con Carne spice mix, Cumin and mushrooms, again stirring through on a moderate heat (2 minutes).
Now for the tomatoes and garlic puree! Continue at a gentle simmer stirring occasionally, rest the lid over with a slight gap to release steam (20 minutes).
Finally drain the pre-cooked kidney beans and gently stir through along with the smoked paprika and leave on a gently simmer until ready to serve (20-30 minutes).
Taste it and give it a tweak to your liking!
If you’re happy with the flavour and seasoning then you’re ready to serve. You may like a little more salt or garlic, and if you prefer it hot, add chilli powder, cayenne pepper, Tabasco or your favourite hot spice.
To cool it down we recommend serving with soured cream, guacamole or a grated mild cheddar cheddar all available in the Farm Shop!
… with Jacket Potatoes and Salad
… with rice, soured cream, guacamole
… nachos with cheesy dipping sauce