- 4 egg whites
- 175g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Tiny pinch of salt
- For the crust
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g finely sliced hazelnuts
- For the filling
- 300ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod split and seeds removed
- 2 mulled wine poached pears cut in half and the core removed, then finely diced to mix in with the cream
- For the mulled pear
- 1 glass of red wine
- 1 glass of cranberry juice
- 1 glass of water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 1 split vanilla pod (seeds used in the cream filling but use the pod to infuse the mulling liquor
- 1 shot of brandy
Line a baking tray with silicone or greaseproof paper. Smear the paper with a little almond oil or vegetable oil.
Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt. Halfway through, add the lemon juice and half the sugar, whip until stiff. Fold in the remainder of the sugar and then spread evenly, about 1cm thick, over the tray.
Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and hazelnuts to form a crust.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 160 degrees.
Turn out onto a clean kitchen cloth, remove the silcone paper and allow to cool. Whip the cream with the vanilla and perhaps a little sugar if necessary.
Once almost stiff add the finely chopped mulled pears.
Spread onto the meringue.
Roll up like a swiss roll, slice and serve with seasonal silced mulled pears to garnish with a fresh sprig of mint and dusting of icing sugar and a swirl of the mulled wine syrup.