This is a lovely Autumnal recipe, perfect for using the new season harvest of English apples. We also love to crumble our ginger biscuits into the topping to add a lovely flavour and crunch!
- For the filling:
- 5 bramley apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 2 braeburn apples, cored, peeled and diced
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 6 balls stem ginger in syrup, chopped
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsps brandy
- 125g demerara sugar
- For the topping:
- 250g plain flour
- 200g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g demerara sugar
- 50g toasted, flaked almonds
- 50g jumbo oats
- 75g ginger biscuits, well crumbled (or use 125g if you don't have jumbo oats)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Toss all the filling ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined, then transfer to a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
- To make the topping, put the flour in another large bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingers until you have a coarse, crumbly mixture. Stir in the demerara sugar, almonds, oats and ginger biscuit crumbs to combine, then scatter evenly over the apples to cover.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the topping is golden and the fruit filling is tender, juicy and bubbling slightly at the edges (cover the dish with foil if it browns too quickly). Remove the cooked crumble from the oven and leave for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Divide among bowls and serve with plenty of our homemade fresh custard, vanilla ice cream from Just Jenny's, or Longley Farm fresh cream.