A recipe developed by Stephanie Moon.
- 4 Blacker Hall Chicken Fillets, diced into chunky pieces. Or two packs of our Diced Chicken Fillets
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunky pieces and placed in cold water
- 200g Blacker Hall Roast Ham, cut from a thick slice into chunks (ideally ask our Delicatessen staff to cut a 2cm thick wedge of ham for you to dice later)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped into pieces
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 4-6 tbsps plain flour, as needed
- Yorkshire Rapeseed oil to cook with
- 5 tsps of Cajun Spices
- 2 pints of chicken stock, or a stock cube and water if preferred
- 2 peppers – we like to use one red and one green, cut in half, seeds removed, and diced into 3cm pieces in a chunky fashion
- 5 spring onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small bunch of parsley, leaves removed from the stalk and chopped to add at the end
Place 2 tablespoons of Yorkshire rapeseed oil in a pan (this will stop the spicy chicken from burning). Fry the onion in a pan until lightly golden, then add the chicken pieces and celery and cook out a little with the flour and Cajun spices.
Add the tinned chopped tomatoes and all the other ingredients except the spring onions and the parsley.
Cook out slowly for 30-50 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is nicely thickened and tasty. If using a slow cooker, place on a medium heat for 4 hours until cooked.
The sauce should not need any extra thickening at this stage, but check the seasoning is good.