- . 1kg locally grown potatoes, thinly sliced
- (we recommend any unwashed white potatoes, they tend to be less starchy
- . 1 onion, finely sliced
- . 25g Longley farm butter
- . 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- . 500ml/17 1/2 fl oz Longley farm double cream
- (you may need a little extra)
- . Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- . 75g Swiss Gruyere cheese, available from the delicatessen counter.
Pre-heat your oven to 200C/Gas 6
Grease a baking dish with butter and arrange a third of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom.
Dot the potatoes with the garlic and onion slices, season well and repeat the process until the dish is full.
Pour over the cream, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the grated Gruyere
Place the dauphinoise potatoes in the oven at the half way point and cook for half an hour to 45 minutes. The potatoes will be tender in the centre when ready. Check with a fork or skewer.
Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving