A great recipe, not just for Pancake Day, but all year round!
This recipe makes 4 pancakes in a 10″ pan.
- 4 free range eggs
- 300ml milk
- 180g plain flour
- Oil for the frying pan
- Suggested toppings:
- Sugar and the juice of 1 lemon or orange
- Chocolate sauce and fruits of your choice - try bananas!
- Yoghurt, fresh fruits and honey
- Fresh fruits and maple syrup
- Rhubarb compote with creme fraiche
- Or savoury options such as our own dry cured bacon with leeks and cheese
Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the middle. Break the egg into the flour and whisk, incorporating all the flour. Add the milk slowly and continue whisking until smooth.
Put a little oil into a frying pan and heat until very hot. The turn the heat down to a medium heat. Add you mixture either with a ladle, or pour in - you need roughly two tablespoons of mixture per pancake. As soon as the mixture hits the pan, move it from side to side and spread the mixture evenly over the pan.
The first side should cook within 30 seconds, then lift the edges with a palette knife to see if it has turned golden brown. Once golden, flip the pancake over and cook on the other side for another 30 seconds until golden brown.
Take your pancake from the pan, fold it, and put your favourite topping on it to serve.