- 500g beef casserole cubes
- 100g carrot, sliced or diced
- 100g potatoes, sliced or diced
- 150g onions, finely sliced
- 300ml Yorkshire Ale (darker the better!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp of each:
- thyme, parsley and marjoram
- 300ml of beef stock or water
Pre-heat your oven to 170°C, gas mark 3.
In a hob safe casserole/ pie dish, or a heavy based saucepan sweat the onions in a knob of butter. Add the diced carrots, beef steak and lightly brown on a moderate heat for a further 5 minutes.
Add your favourite ale (the darker the ale, the richer the flavour), water, salt, pepper and herbs.
Place the lid or cover with a plate or foil and transfer to the oven and simmer for about 2- 2 and a half hours.
Add the potatoes, replace the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the potatoes have softened. The meat should be tender and juicy at this point, and should break apart easily.
The total cooking time to achieve this should be around 2hrs 45 minutes.