- . 1 head of Green Cabbage;
- Savoy, Spring green, sweetheart or curly kale also work well
- . 150-200g smoked streaky bacon lardons or shredded smoked streaky bacon
- . 25g butter
- . 2-3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- . 2 tbsp pepper to taste
- For a kick, when serving drizzle a small amount of sweet chilli sauce or tabasco!
. Remove the outer leaves of your cabbage or kale, wash and remove the core. If there are any strong thick veins in the leaves you can also remove these. Shred into fine to medium strips.
. Finely chop the garlic cloves or squeeze with a garlic press. You may need a little more if pressing into a puree.
. Take your lardons or smoked bacon strips and chop into smaller pieces. The aim is to get bacon evenly dispersed through as much of the cabbage as possible so you benefit from the smokey flavour in every forful!
. On a medium heat fry off the bacon in a wide bottomed saucepan or wok until lightly browned. Use a little olive oil if needed but the fat in the bacon should be enough. Add the garlic, stir through the bacon and cook for only a minute.
. Add the cabbage, butter and some olive oil, this will prevent the butter from burning. keep the cabbage on the move. Its should start to brighten in colour and become tender after 6-7 minutes.
. Spoon in the honey and continue to stir for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with black pepper (and maybe the swet chilli!)