Christmas Leftover Bubble & Squeak
- 200g of cooked turkey breast, shredded
- 200g of potatoes, either roasted or boiled
- Any leftover vegetables, including cabbage, carrots and Brussel sprouts
- 1 egg
- Knob of goose fat, butter or oil
- salt, to season
1. If you managed to get through all of you Christmas veggies, then simply boil the potatoes and raw vegetables together in a large pan of salted water for 20 minutes.
Once cooked through, drain and put to one side to steam dry.
If you’re using leftover veg, then you can add these directly to the cooked potatoes or to Christmas Day’s roast potatoes.
2. Chop the potatoes and vegetables into chunks and add to the leftover turkey.
Season well and mash together, making the mixture as smooth or chunky as you like, before adding a whisked egg and then moulding into small cakes.
Top tip: Use wet hands to shape the mixture, so it doesn’t clump together on your fingers.
3. If you have goose fat leftover from Christmas, then heat in a pan. Otherwise a knob of butter of a splash of oil will do.
Fry the cakes for 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden brown all over – and don’t forget to listen out for that trademark bubble and squeak sound!
4. Serve the cakes on their own or with a dollop of cranberry sauce for a really festive feel.